for Acid Fast Bacteria
5µ paraffin sections of neutral buffered formalin fixed tissue are suitable.
Other fixatives are usually satisfactory.
- Bring sections to water via xylene and ethanol.
- Stain with hemalum for 5 minutes.
- Blue in running tap water.
- Immerse in a Coplin jar of carbol fuchsin for 1 hour at 37°C.
- Decolorise with acid ethanol for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse with 95% ethanol.
- Rinse twice with absolute ethanol, 1-2 minutes each.
- Clear with xylene and mount with a resinous medium.
- Acid alcohol fast organisms – red
- Background – blue
Putt, F.A., (1972)
Manual of histopathological staining methods
John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA
Last updated January 2019