Krajian's Iron Hematoxylin
|Ferric ammonium sulphate
Dissolve the hematoxylin in the ethanol.
Dissolve the other ingredients in the water.
Combine the solutions.
- Bring sections to water with xylene and ethanol.
- Place into the staining solution for 3 minutes.
- Rinse with tap water.
- Dip briefly in 1% hydrochloric acid in 70% ethanol.
- Wash well in running tap water to blue.
- Rinse with distilled water.
- Counterstain if desired.
- Dehydrate with ethanol, clear with xylene and mount with a resinous medium.
- Nuclei – black
- Background – as counterstain or unstained
- Gray states that this solution is, "an excellent general
- The stability of the solution is not commented on, but it is likely
not stable for long.
- This method is from a technique for micro-organisms, so the staining
time may need to be adjusted for sections.
Gray, Peter. (1954)
The Microtomist's Formulary and Guide.
Originally published by:– The Blakiston Co.
Republished by:– Robert E. Krieger Publishing Co.
Last updated February 2019