Shokeir & Elgaboury's
Alloxan-Schiff for Rabies Virus
Best results are obtained with 5 µ paraffin sections fixed in one of the following:
- Neutral buffered formalin
- 5% acetic ethanol
- 1% trichloracetic acid in 60% ethanol
- Dubosq-Brasil fluid
- Bring sections to water via xylene and ethanol.
- Place into the alloxan solution at 37°C for 24 hours.
- Wash gently with tap water for 5 minutes.
- Place into Schiff's reagent for 15 minutes in the dark.
- Wash with running tap water for 10 minutes.
- Dehydrate with ethanol, clear in xylene and mount with a resinous medium (Canada balsam specified).
- Fixed rabies virus – pink-brown
- The authors note that this technique will demonstrate fixed rabies virus,
but is not specific for them.
Shokeir, A. A., and Elbagoury, S. M.
Alloxan-Schiff reagent for the detection of fixed rabies virus in the nerve cell
J. med. Lab. Tech. (1966) v23, p. 191-193
Last updated May 2005.