Make each solution as listed.
Combine as directed above.
Leave 15 minutes before use.
- Bring sections to distilled water with xylene and ethanol.
- Place into the staining solution for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse with water and blue.
- Rinse well with water.
- Counterstain if desired.
- Dehydrate with ethanol, clear with xylene and mount with a resinous medium.
- Nuclei – blue
- Background – as counterstain or unstained
- Read these comments on Lugol’s iodine.
- The solution is usable for a minimum of one week.
- The working solution will stain at least 100 slides.
- Since the solution is not acidified, a distilled water rinse before staining will
reduce alkaline carry over.
- The authors named this solution Lugol’s Hematoxylin.
- Blueing is done with alkaline solutions such as hard tap water,
Scott’s tap water substitute, 0.1% ammonia water, 1% aqueous sodium acetate,
0.5% aqueous lithium carbonate etc.
Clarke, G. and Dodds, H. M., (1983)
Stain Technology, v 58, Nº 4, p. 232
Last updated January 2019