for Young and Mature Collagen
|Methyl blue, 0.05% aqu.
|Lithium carbonate, sat. aqu.
Paraffin sections at 5µ of formol-acetic-ethanol (10:5:85) fixed tissue was recommended.
- Bring sections to water via xylene and ethanol.
- Stain nuclei with the acid resistant nuclear stain.
- Rinse well with tap water.
- Place into the staining solution for 2 minutes.
- Wash with 1% acetic acid for 2 minutes.
- Dehydrate with ethanol.
- Clear with xylene and mount with a resinous medium.
- Young collagen and reticulin - blue
- Mature collagen - red
- Cytoplasm - yellow
- Nuclei - black
- Solution A is van Gieson's solution.
- Cook notes that the original included a final step with metanil yellow for cytoplasmic staining, which he omitted.
Cook, H. C., (1974)
Manual of Histological Demonstration Techniques
Butterworths, London, UK.
Herovici, c., (1963)
Stain Technology, v. 38, p. 204
Last updated January 2019